Inspirational Message

Inspirational Message

Monday, January 28, 2013

Amanuensis Monday - An Autobiography




JONILA SUE GRAVES MCGINLEY
Born on the third day of December in 1934 in Mooreland, Oklahoma was a teacher and 'household executive'.  She loved reading, music and her friends.  Her husband, Pat McGinley was an Engineer with Exxon.  Jonila was the mother of two children, Mark and Patricia, and a grandmother of two, Hillary and Alicia.  
Jonila joined Thousand Oaks Chapter, DAR in June 1991 and was a charter member of Lohman's Ford chapter in Lakeway, Texas when it was chartered on November 14, 1994.  She held the offices of secretary and  historian; as well as literacy and patriotism chairmanships. 
Her chapter published an "Orchid Book" and each member wrote a narrative for that publication.  Jonila wrote:
"I, Jonila was born in Oklahoma and lived there for 34 years.  After marriage to Pat McGinley we lived in the great state of Texas and then the great state of California.  We resided in Australia for 5 years and South Korea for 3 years.  We have a son who is a Professor at Texas Tech and a daughter who is a speech therapist and mother of our two granddaughters."
"I would like to be remembered for my love of life and my willingness to do things for others.  I would like for my descendants to understand that we are responsible for our own actions. I want to pass on the importance of education."
 Jonila lost her battle with cancer on December 19, 2012 in Lakeway, Texas.  She is survived by her husband, Pat; her son, Mark, and daughter, Patricia Clarke; granddaughters Hillary and Alicia; and one brother, David Graves.  A private memorial service will be held in Oklahoma.

I am sorry to say that I never met Jonila.  We talked on the phone for the first time just this past summer.  I was looking for more information on our Graves line and my mother had contacted Jonila on my behalf.  She was very kind and helpful and talked about all the family papers she had received from her father, Jones Graves. She told me she had the original photo of our common ancestor, Elizabeth Fall Holley.  This photo was taken before her death in 1899 and wasn't it the best condition.  I felt very blessed when I received a copy of that photo in the mail a few weeks later.  My hope is to leave a fitting tribute to this wonderful person.


No comments:

Post a Comment