Inspirational Message

Inspirational Message

Monday, May 6, 2013

Motivational Monday - Visiting a Courthouse

Many years ago, I received a GedCom file from one of my husband's cousins on their Rockers line.

This line of Germans from the Hanover area used the same given names repeatedly through the generations.  I didn't make any attempt to verify the information in this file for that very reason.  This family arrived at the Port of New Orleans on 2 January 1841. According to the ship's manifest Herman Friedrich Rockers was  traveling from Twist, Hanover to Jefferson City, Missouri.  Those arriving with him were Catharine Wolken age 49, Maria age 22, Herman age 20, Helen age 19, Addelaide age 17, Gerhardt age 14, Henry age 12, John age 9, and Gesine age 5.  This family sailed up the Mississippi to St. Louis and then down the Missouri river to Jefferson City.  Some stayed in Jefferson City and other sailed down the Osage river to Taos, Missouri.

Some traveled on to Anderson county, Kansas Territory. I found in the 1859 Kansas Territorial Census the following:

Voters:

  1. H. H. Rockers, arrived 25 April 1856, total in household 1
  2. J. H. Rockers, arrived 25 April 1856, total in household 1
  3. Frederick Rockers, arrived 25 April 1856, total in household 1
  4. John Rockers, arrived 25 May 1856, total in household 1
  5. George Rockers, arrived 25 may 1857, total in household 4.
Heads of Household, Non-voters
  1. Mary Rockers is listed on the same line with George Rockers above and she has 2 minor children.
I followed these men in the subsequent censuses for Anderson county, Kansas.  Two mysteries have materialized in my husband's direct line:

  1. 1865 Kansas Census, Anderson county, Monroe Twp.
    1. H. H. Ruckers age 46 born in Hanover
    2. Margaret Ruckers age 34 born in Hanover
    3. Elizabeth Mimas, age 14 born in Missouri
  2. 1870 Federal Census, Anderson county, Monroe Twp.
    1. Harmon H. Rockers age 50 born in Europe
    2. Elizabeth Rockers age 19 born in Missouri
    3. John Rockers age 4 born in Kansas
In my PAF program, I have Margaret Mueller listed as Harmon's first wife and John as their son.  

I found online at Anderson County District Court that John F. Rockers has a guardianship file dated 2 December 1869.  I have never found a marriage record for Harmon H. Rockers to Margaret Mueller.  Harmon married Elizabeth Mimas 10 Feb 1869.  Today, I plan to visit the District Court office and get a copy of the guardianship to see who the parent(s) of John F. Rockers were.  When I imported the GedCom file, there weren't any notes included, perhaps this is an option that must be chosen? 

That is what is motivating me today!  I love mysteries and hunting for clues!  My husband and I will be visiting his uncle in Anderson county, Kansas today as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment