Inspirational Message

Inspirational Message

Monday, October 29, 2012

Amanuensis Monday - Will of Aunt Jenny Austin

This is a handwritten will amended on Jan 27, 1927.  Jenny Austin was born Sarah Jane Graves 11 Sep 1841 in Ellisburg, Jefferson County, NY to Ira Graves and Mary Decker.  She married George Austin who was born in the month April 1826 in Ohio, according to the 1900 census.  They were married in 1867 or 1868.  According to the 1900 census for Sheboygan, WI, Jennie had never had any children.  Henry E. Austin, born Nov 1855 in Wisconsin, is listed next to them in this census.  Jennie's will mentions grandchildren; George, Frank and Orren Austin.  These children belong to Henry E. Austin leading me to believe that Henry was adopted by George and Sarah Jane Austin. Henry is listed in the 1880 census as their child.  Sarah J. 'Jennie' died 23 Oct 1927 in Plymouth, WI.

Have omitted paragraph about "being sound of mind."
First.
 I give and devise to my grand children, Geo. Austin of Montana and Frank Austin & Orren Austin of Sheb Co., Wis. The sum of one thousand dollars to be divided among them in equal shares.
Second.
I give and bequeath to my sister, Nettie Bisphop, the sum of one thousand dollars.
Third.
All the rest, residue and remainder of my estate, I give devise and bequeath to my niece Elena Edwards should she survive me, but in the event she does not survive me, then all of said residue, I give and bequeath in equal shares to nieces and nephews, the grand children of my Bro. Gilbert A. Graves. 
Fourth.
I herby nominate and appoint my niece Elena Edwards the executrix of this will & request that she be not required to give any bond.
Dated April 6, 1917
Signed by A. C. Prescott and Cora L Schraut.
The following was written by Aunt Jennie, put in an envelop and tied to large envelop containing will.  It was written wonderfully well with ink, for one of her age. 
When I made my will I gave my sister Mrs. Nettie Bishop $1,000.  She has since died, as has her only child, Clarence Bishop.  Now I want this one thousand dollars to to to Elena Edwards with the other I have given her.  This I hope is plain.  If it is not done by a lawyer, it is my wish.
Jan 17, 1927
Signed by herself,
Jennie's signature is not on this document anywhere.

Elena Edwards is the daughter of Maryetta Graves born 4 May 1834 in Ellisburg, Jefferson Co., NY.  She married John Byron Edwards (1829-1919).   Maryette and John B Edwards are found in the 1900 Census in Sheboyga, WI.  Their daughter, F Lena Edwards born Mar 1866, is living with them.  All three were born in New York and Lena is their only child.  I was unable to find Lena in any subsequent census indexes.

I decided to explore George and Jennie Austin further.  I started my search at the Sheboygan County page on USGENWEB website.  I found a biography of George Austin that answered a lot of questions.  Jennie was George's second wife.  George and Jennie were married 23 Dec 1867.  Henry was the son of George and his first wife, Annie Smith.  George and Annie were married 30 June 1853. His complete biography can be found here, http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sheboygan/bios91.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment