Inspirational Message

Inspirational Message

Monday, October 22, 2012

Amanuensis Monday - William C Hoag letter from John M Powers

Lower Penn Neck Sep 27/75

William C Hoag

Dear Friend

I received your letter the 25th and was very glad to hear from you again and learn that you are all well.  We are all well except Mary S who is complaining very much of pain in her stum to night and wishes you were here to cure her.  We have enjoyed our health first rate ever since you left as usual it has been quite healthy throughout the township all sickness Mrs M Lippencott has passed away.  She died about six weeks ago.  Samuel ?. Snitcher (one of your Scholars) has also gone, Since you went away.  Herman tells me has never received you letter, And now I am almost at a loss to know how to give you the particulars you desire, but I will do the best I can the prospect for disposing of a load is not very flattering unless you could sell very cheap. Charley Powers says he wants one and the store keeper at Pennsville wants one also.  David Fisher says he will take a pair of mules, if you could bring a few young mares you might sell them as the farmers do not want to buy horses, There may be a better prospect after a while as there is a disease among the horses a few miles below Salem and quite a number have died with it.  I was told to night by one of our neightors that in the township of Lower Alloway Creek thirty five had died already.  Your old stock here are about the same Except Phill he has gone entirely blind, I have had an offer of $150 for Prince, $125 for Lilly and $50 for Phill. Provided I would give some time on them I don't suppose those prices would suit you, if they do, let me know it as soon as possible.  I wish you would come on this fall, Perhaps you can do better than that.  For I never could sell anything like other men.  The hoses are in fair condition I hate to let them got for such prices, whether the people think I will soon be forced to let them go for just what I can get to pay my debts I dont know for the note I gave for those I bought comes due in November again and the prospect looks very doubtful at present for meeting it.  I wish you would come on before that time and give me a little assistance if you can,  Excuse me for not writing as I have been so busy I have not had time or at least not felt like writing to any one, I know nothing more that would be likely to interest you so permit me to subscribe myself your friend John M Powers

P.S. My family all join in sending their respects
J M Powers
______________________________________________________________________________
Lower Alloways Creek, Lower Penns Neck and Salem are townships in New Jersey.  William C Hoag was a doctor.  He was born 5 Oct 1819 in New York and married Electa Ann Mitchell in Meigs County, Ohio 16 Mar 1855.  He moved to Danvers, Mc Lean County, Illinois where he died 28 Aug 1886.  William and Electa had two children, Jared B and Jane Phoebe (Jennie).  Jennie died in Ill in July 1876.  Electa died 8 Nov 1878 in Danvers, IL.  Jared is my great grandfather and migrated to Barber County, Kansas where he married Florence Graves on 25 Jan 1888.

No comments:

Post a Comment