Inspirational Message

Inspirational Message

Sunday, December 20, 2015

They Were Married Where? Why You Need To Know Your Geography.

Stephen Cushing married Rachel Foster on the 12th day of July in 1773 in Tisbury, Massachusetts. Stephen served in the American Revolution then moved to Dutchess County, New York. In looking for the marriages of their daughter, Catharine, I came across an entry in the North Congregational Church Record Abstracts from Sherman, CT. Not only was Catharine married here but three of their other daughters as well: Elizabeth, Jemima and Rachel!

I pulled up maps on Google and searched for Sherman, CT. It is just across the state line from Dutchess County, New York.
This is why it is important to know the geography for the location you are researching.  I have always loved maps and I save all of them I find of the areas where my ancestors resided. Looking at the map it makes perfect sense now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment