Inspirational Message

Inspirational Message

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Long Distance Relatives - Holly and Graves

My daughter and her family are preparing to move to Hawaii in late July. They have seven children ages 4 to 15 and I am very close to all of them. I enjoy watching their sporting events and celebrating their special occasions. This move is really touching my heart and it got me to thinking about my great great grandmother leaving Jefferson County, New York to homestead on the wide open prairies in Kansas and Oklahoma.

Sarah (Holly) Graves was living in Jefferson County in 1880 with her husband, Gilbert A Graves and their children Burleigh and Florence. Sarah had lost one child by 1870, a daughter named Adella born 1860/5.  They moved to Barber County, Kansas where their daughter, Florence, married Jared Hoag on the 25th of January in 1888. The 1900 census revealed that Sarah had lost two children, the second child is still a mystery. 

Sarah and Gilbert went on to Oklahoma in the 1893 Land Rush.  Thanks to Old Fulton Postcards, I have been able to follow Sarah's family until the death of each individual. Sarah outlived all but her brother Anson N Holly.

I have no knowledge of Sarah traveling back to New York, but there were several estate notices in which she and her siblings were named. Newspapers are a very valuable resource for tracing the activities of our ancestors. 

I will be visiting my daughter and her family in person annually and via a video link on the Internet as often as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment