Inspirational Message

Inspirational Message

Friday, July 20, 2012

Cousin Connect Yields Old Photograph

I recently asked my mother who to contact for more information on my Graves line.  She put me in touch with a cousin in Texas whom I never met.  She is a member of National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, as am I.   This week I received a photocopy of an original photo in the possession of this cousin in Texas.  I have posted it at the bottom of my blog page.  Her name is Elizabeth Fall Holly.  Her father, Henry Hatevil Fall, fought in the Continental Army during the War of the Revolution. She was a member of Le Ray de Chaumont Chapter, New York Society Daughters of the American Revolution.  In this photo you see another photo on the table.  That photo is of her father, Henry.  My cousin is looking through the other old albums she inherited to see if she has that original photo as well.  I have a photocopy of a newspaper article featuring a cropped version of this photo that my aunt gave to me many years ago.  It doesn't have the name of the newspaper nor does it have the date it was published. I discovered two websites for historical newspapers from New York; nnyln.org and fultonhistory.com.  I searched on both sites using the title of the newspaper article I am seeking, A Real Daughter.  I found two articles printed in 1896 featuring Elizabeth and her NSDAR chapter.  Elizabeth died in 1897 and the article I seek may have been printed after her death.  Always digging further, I went to books.familysearch.org and searched for Daughters American Revolution Minutes.  NSDAR publishes a magazine and newsletter with the minutes from the board of management meetings.  I found the magazine published in July 1897 and in it I found the minutes with the resolution to express sympathy to the family of Elizabeth  and approval for the LeRay de Chaumont Chapter to publish an article in the newspaper regarding her death.  I am still seeking the allusive article published after approval of NSDAR.  As always, I love the hunt!

1 comment:

  1. That is a great picture of Elizabeth. It is nice to see family photos shared. I am always amazed at people who have original family photos and are not willing to share the images. One person's g-grandparent could be several persons g-grandparent (depending on how prolific they were). Yet, the 'it is mine' syndrome persists. Or they share it but put a lovely watermark across the face of the image first because it is theirs alone - not to be truly shared.
    Okay - I guess you can tell that is one of my pet peeves...
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete