Inspirational Message

Inspirational Message

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Which Simon Graves, Sr or Jr

I searched the GRC database on www.dar.org and found my patriot, Simon Graves.  I am a stickler for documentation so I decided to conduct my own research to back up what I found.  www.archive.org is where I went to find published books. I found a gold mine!  Simon's ancestors are included in the book, "1673 1899 History of the Town of Sunderland, Massachusetts..by John Montague Smith With Genealogies  Prepared By Henry W Taft and Abbie T Montague..1899". I downloaded the pdf file to a Graves folder on my hard drive.  I find that keeping my families in their own folder assists me in staying organized.  I confirmed the information by going to the Graves Family Association website.  So far so good.  Simon Sr's wife was name Persis.  I would like to find the marriage record in Massachusetts, but so far it still eludes me.  Ira Graves, my 3rd great grandfather, was born in Rupert, VT and moved to Jefferson County, NY where he married Mary E Decker.  Simon Jr also moved to this area and is buried there.  I found an estate file in the Surrogate's Court that I am waiting on so I can determine if this is Simon Sr. or Simon Jr.'s file.  I have found neither the burial place for Simon Sr nor for his wife Persis.  I checked the book, "The Gravestone Inscriptions of Rupert, Bennington County, Vermont; by Levi Henry Elwell; 1913", but didn't find them listed there.  The Graves surname is plentiful in Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut and New York.  With numerous boundary changes in the late 18th century, research cannot be limited to one locality but must include all previous counties/states that were within those boundaries.  Nothing like the hunt!

1 comment:

  1. Came here via Geneabloggers. The GRC is such a helpful tool and I use it often myself. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

    ReplyDelete