Inspirational Message

Inspirational Message

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Treasure Chest Thursday - Trading Cake Plates

My grandmother, Mary Steinmetz Hoag, was given a treasured family heirloom by a friend on the occasion of her marriage in 1924.  After her friend passed away, her daughter came to my grandmother's house and offered the American Fostoria Cake Stand (pictured here) in trade for that  family heirloom.  Grandma was happy to oblige but her daughters were appalled!  After all, who takes back a gift?  When Grandma died we gathered after the funeral to clean out her house and divide her possessions.  Everyone was asking "May I have this?"  I asked about the cake stand and no one else wanted it.  I was 13 years old.  For 41 years this American Fostoria Cake Stand has moved with me many times!  I always remember my Grandma when I look at it sitting in my China Cabinet.  The cake stand will always be the most treasured piece I own.  Grandma served cakes for birthdays on this cake stand and I served my daughter's first birthday cake on it in 1978!

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cake stand. I can see why you treasure it. And not just because it's beautiful, but because it represents your Grandmother's kindness and understanding when her friend's daughter wanted the family heirloom back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to let you know that your blog post was listed on today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2012/09/follow-fridayfab-finds-for-september-7.html

    ReplyDelete